- •Brinjals,small 250 grams
- •Peanuts 2 tablespoons
- •Sesame seeds (til) 1 1/2 tablespoons
- •Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto) 3/4 teaspoon
- •Dried coconut ( khopra),grated 1 tablespoon
- •Oil 4 tablespoons + for deep-frying
- •Onion ,sliced 2 medium
- •Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- •Cumin seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- •Fennel seeds (saunf) 1/4 teaspoon
- •Onion seeds (kalonji) 1/4 teaspoon
- •Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) pinch
- •Curry leaves 10-12
- •Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- •Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- •Green chilli paste 1 teaspoon
- •Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- •Coriander powder 1 1/2 teaspoon
- •Cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon
- •Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
- •Salt to taste
- •Tamarind pulp 2 tablespoons
- •Jaggery (gur),grated 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry roast the peanuts in a non stick pan till lightly browned. Set aside to cool. Similarly dry roast the sesame seeds, poppy seeds and dried coconut separately and set aside to cool. Grind the roasted ingredients with half a cup of water to a fine paste.
Make one slit along the length of the brinjals from the bottom and one from the top near the stem – this way the brinjals will get cooked well. Take care that they are held together at the stem.
Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Add the brinjals and deep fry three to four minutes. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside. Add the onions to the same oil and deep fry till golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Heat four tablespoons oil in another non stick pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, onion seeds and fenugreek seeds and sauté till lightly browned. Add the curry leaves, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilli paste. Stir and sauté till the oil separates from the masala.
Add the browned onions, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt and stir. Add the tamarind and jaggery and mix well. Add the coconut paste and cook till the oil separates.
Add the fried brinjals and one cup water and mix. Cover and simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes or till the oil surfaces.
- Serve hot with roti, chapatti or parantha.