Ingredients:· 1/2 lb okra (bhindi)
· 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
· Pinch of asafetida (hing)
· 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
· 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
· 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to taste)
· 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
· 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
· 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
· 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan) (optional)
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow bell pepper
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
Method:1. Wash the okra and pat dry. Make sure to completely dry the okra as wet okra will be sticky when cutting.
2. Cut off the both ends of the okra, and slice lengthwise in halves. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cummin seed to the oil; if seed crack right away oil is ready.
4. Add the cumin seeds and asafetida (hing). When the cumin seeds crack, add the okra.
5. Stir for a minute and reduce the heat to medium.
6. Cover the okra for two to three minutes.
7. Remove the cover and add the coriander powder, red cayenne pepper and turmeric.
8. Next add gram flour (besan) and continue to stir-fry until the okra is tender. Add the salt, mango powder and bell peppers, cook for another minute. Salt is added last to avoid the okra becoming lacy.